According to Wikipedia, Oil Pulling or oil swishing is a folk remedy where oil is “swished” or “held” in the mouth. Oil pulling is an old age Ayurvedic practice (Hindu traditional medicine) which originated in India and has now gone mainstream and is used to minimize bacteria growth.
When I was first introduced to Oil Pulling I was given a list of oral benefits, but after carefully researching this technique, I now know that this method has even greater healing properties than I was first told.
- Brighter and whiter teeth
- Healthier gums
- Better breath
- Clearer skin (can eliminate skin conditions such as eczema or acne)
- Increased energy
- Clearer sinuses and alleviated allergies
- Migraine relief
- Better sleep
- Regulated menstrual cycles
- Improved PMS symptoms
2. Swish the oil in a relaxed mode around your mouth without swallowing for 20min. Do not tilt your head back. Use your tongue to help move the liquid around.
3. At the end of 20min spit the liquid in the bathroom trash and rinse a couple of times with warm water.
4. Follow up with brushing, using your toothpaste of choice and go about your day as usual.