Dr. Mercola states that melatonin also plays a role in prevention of Heart Disease, Headaches, Diabetes and Osteoporosis.
Researcher Irene Liu, found in her studies that melatonin aids in the prevention of diseases such as Breast Cancer, Alzheimer’s, Fibromyalgia, and sleep disorders like Insomnia, and Chronic fatigue.
- Avoid watching TV or using your computer in the evening, at least an hour or so before going to bed. These devices emit light that may hinder the process.
- Make sure you get BRIGHT sun exposure regularly. Your pineal gland produces melatonin roughly in approximation to the contrast of bright sun exposure in the day and complete darkness at night. If you are in darkness all day long, it can’t appreciate the difference and will not optimize your melatonin production.
- Sleep in complete darkness, or as close to it as possible.
- Install a low-wattage yellow, orange, red light bulb or use a flashlight if you need a source of light for navigation at night.
- Keep the temperature in your bedroom no higher than 70 degrees F.
- Get some sun in the morning, if possible. Your circadian system(daily sleep/wake cycle) needs bright light to reset itself. Ten to 15 minutes of morning sunlight will send a strong message to your internal clock that day has arrived, making it less likely to be confused by weaker light signals during the night. More sunlight exposure is required as you age.
Yes, but God has made it so that our brain will do what it needs to do (produce melatonin) if we do what we need to do (get proper rest).
Is that enough to convince you to surrender your electronics at night?
Here’s To Your Health!!!
Stephanie B. Davis
Certified Natural Health Professional