You may remember from past post, or perhaps be putting into action, that old age Ayurvedic practice (origins in the Vedic culture of India) called Oil Pulling!
Well in keeping with the Indian culture let’s talk about a little spice that originated from India called Turmeric! Yes, it’s known to add flavor to many eastern cuisines, but it has also been used for centuries for its naturopathic healing properties.
Turmeric is a spice that comes from the curcuma longa plant and is considered an herbal remedy due to its anti-inflammatory and therapeutic attributes.
Turmeric is loaded with many nourishing nutrients such as protein, fiber, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, sodium, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, and zinc; and because of these components, Turmeric can be used to treat a number of health problems as well as used for many beauty treatment.
Lets take a closer look…
Research has found that the active properties in turmeric, makes it a great defender against radiation induced tumors. Turmeric also helps to fight tumor cells such as T-cell leukemia, colon, carcinomas, and breast carcinomas (a cancer arising in the epithelial tissue of the skin or of the lining of the internal organs.)
Turmeric has inflammatory properties, making it a great treatment for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It has been shown that people that suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and consume turmeric regularly, experience greater relief from mild to moderate joint pain and inflammation.
Lowers Cholesterol Levels:
Research has demonstrated that using turmeric for seasoning, can lower serum cholesterol levels.
Maintain Ideal Body Weight:
A property found in turmeric, helps boost the flow of bile, which is important in the breakdown of dietary fat. One teaspoon of turmeric powder with every meal can help you lose weight, fight obesity, and other affiliated diseases.
- To prepare an acne face mask, mix turmeric powder, sandalwood powder, and lemon juice together. Apply on the face for 10min and rinse with lukewarm water.
- For acne scars apply turmeric and water to the spot(s) for 15min and rinse.
Are you experiencing dry skin? Well say goodbye to those little patches with this face mask.
- Combine 1 egg white, 2 drops of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, rose water and a pinch of turmeric. Apply to all the dry areas on your body, let it dry and rinse.
Looking for beautiful, healthy, younger looking skin? Then this treatment is for you.
- Apply a mixture of turmeric and milk or yogurt to your face and leave it on overnight and rinse.
- Apply a mixture of turmeric, and olive oil directly to the scalp for 15min, and then wash out the mixture with an organic shampoo or a cleansing conditioner.
- Mixing turmeric, honey and milk together and then applying it to the scalp can help reduce the negative effects on your hair.